Benefits of Organic Food
Organic food refers to food products grown agriculturally without the use of petroleum-based fertilizers, synthetic pesticides, fertilizers based on sewage sludge, or genetically modified or bioengineered. Livestock that breeds organically for the purpose of their eggs, meat, and dairy products use organic feed, which lacks growth hormones, animal by products or antibiotics. Organic food that is grown is mostly dependent on the natural environment. Weed control takes place naturally through crop rotation or tilling, hand weeding, and mulching. Farmers control pests using traps, birds, naturally derived pesticides, and insects. Non-organic food, on the other hand, grows on chemical or synthetic fertilizers. It uses chemical herbicides to control weeds. Non-organic livestock use bioengineered feed, growth hormones, and antibiotics.
Organic food has tremendous benefits for people’s health. It has become increasingly popular since most people are becoming self-conscious about their health day by day. These are the benefits of organic food:
- No preservatives (so the food is fresh)
- No insecticides, fungicides, or herbicides that leave their residue on food (so your body is free from chemicals)
- Rich in antioxidants and vitamins
- Livestock is healthy and safe from disease (since organic feed lacks chemicals)
- A safe environment (due to organic farming that reduces environmental pollution)
- Your body is less at risk for cancer (due to low nitrate level in organic food)
- Low risk probability of having heart disease (due to richness omega-3 fatty acids in organic meat and dairy)
When you go shopping in the supermarket, you should look out for food products that have organic labels on them like “100% organic” or “made with organic” before you pick anything. Natural foods refer to food products made using natural ingredients only. This usually gives people the appeal to buy products labeled “100% natural” but there is no sure way to confirm this. Organic food will improve your health and give you a longer life span for sure.